Professors & Ph. D. Fan xiaolin is a top and leading scientist in discipline of plant nutrition, fertilizer and fertilization in South China Agricultural University. He is the scientist of China Agriculture Research System for banana nutrition and fertilization as well as irrigation management. Since 1989, professor Fan has started to innovate new fertilizer, such as to develop the technology of slow and controlled release fertilizer (SRF/CRF) in order to improve fertilizer use efficiency by use of the new fertilizers under the support of NSFC. He has promoted the following three criteria to develop slow and controlled release fertilizer since 1998. The first, nutrient supply from the SRF / CRF should be synchronized with crop requirement. The second, the SRF / CRF themselves and the processes to manufacture them should cause non pollution to environment. The third, the slow / controlled release fertilizer and use of them should bring benefits to farmers with a comparatively lower price. Professor Fan’s group has established coating technology and techniques to manufacture coated controlled release fertilizers by use of vegetable oil as main coating material. The technique has been applied by eight big chemical companies over China. Therefore, professor Fan have received one second class National Science and Technology Advance Award of people’s republic of China in 2019. In addition, he has obtained four first-class awards such as Guangdong Provincial Science and Technology Advance Award, Science and Technology Progress Award by Ministry of Agriculture, Science and Technology Progress Award by Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China, All-China federation of industry & commerce and the other 8 second and third awards for the research achievements of slow / controlled release fertilizers. At present, professor Fan’s group possesses a series of technologies including design and manufacture coating machinery, synthesizing coating material, developing coating technique and method to use the controlled release fertilizer in fields. The techniques can be used to coat any particle or granular fertilizers to produce controlled release fertilizer with a longevity from one month to one year and above. In addition, Dr. Fan’s team have the technology of fertigation. They also possess novel technology and technique to make alkaline NPK fertilizer to control soil acidification and then prevent all of the problems caused by soil acidification.
Professor and Dr Fan has published over 170 research papers in discipline of plant nutrition and fertilizer science and fertilization. Part of the published papers are listed as followings.
1. Jin Li, Tingting Duan, Zhong Lin, Chao Zheng and Xiaolin Fan. 2020. Study on Carbon Source Screening Technology for Prevention and Control of Banana Fusarium Wilt. American Journal of Biochemistry and Biotechnology. This open access article is distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) 3.0 license.
2. Shaolong Sun, Wei Wang, Fang Liu, Lidan Zhang, Xiaolin Fan. 2019. Coating layer preparation with mixed vegetable oil and nutrient release regulation of fertilizer. European Polymer Journal. journal homepage: ww.elsevier.com /locate/ europolj
3. Hai-bin Chen & Xiao-lin Fan. 2018. Effects of magnesium remobilization and allocation on banana plant growth. JOURNAL OF PLANT NUTRITION. VOL. 41, NO. 10, 1312–1320 https://doi.org/10.1080/01904167.2018.1450422
4. Qiong Yi, Shuanghu Tang, Xiaolin Fan and et.al. 2017. Effects of nitrogen application rate, nitrogen synergist and biochar on nitrous oxide emissions from vegetable field in south China. PLOS ONE | https://doi.org/10.1371/ journal.pone. 0175325 April 18, 2017
5. Xu Qi, Chen Haibin, Fan Xiaolin. 2016. Slow and controlled-release property of C18 polyol coated urea modified by C36 polyol. Transactions of the Chinese Society of Agricultural Engineering. Vol.32 No.24:171-176